Friday, April 12, 2013

Spring Riding

My Progress

The 30 Days of Biking is going well. The weather has been mild, though high winds earlier in the week cluttered up the bike trails with sticks and branches from the trees. I'm seeing lots of riders out in the afternoons, so I know I'm not the only one reveling in our SoCal Spring.

Strength is coming back into my legs after my long winter biking hiatus. It's wonderful to be out in the sunshine everyday, doing something physical and fun. Of course, I need to make other changes for my well-being. Focusing on moving every day can only be the start, and I feel that with the 30 Days of Biking challenge, I am building up motivation to make more healthy choices.

It's a little lonely out there...

Out on the bike trails, most riders are male. I don't know why that is, but I want to see more of us women folk bicycling. I noted a couple of girls and women on bikes at the elementary school, which is great. I like to think I'm doing my part to make the changes I want to see in my community by setting an example for other women, especially women who are overweight or out of shape. I'd love to get feedback about the topic of women in biking, so comment if you've any thoughts on the matter.

Speaking of setting an example, the person who inspired me to get the Yuba Mundo and take up riding was Lindsay, whose blog, You Ain't Got Jack, covers her commitment to a biking lifestyle. Check it out, as it's well worth the read.
 

 
Tally
Day 8: 5 miles, through a windblown town. Lots of branches on the ground. Picked Little M. up from school.
Day 9: 4.6 miles, to the school and back. Allergies are a constant nuisance.
Day 10: 4.6 miles, did the school route and called it a day.
Day 11: 7 miles, took a friend's child to an art lesson, Little M. along for the ride, too.
Day 12: 4.6 miles. Used the bike every day this week to pick up my girl from school.
 
Monthly subtotal: 61.1 miles
 
One of my friends went to Portland and brought me back this bike shirt as a souvenir. Very cool.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment